PPPS (Littleton)—Ok, I’ve had it. It's not funny any more, which is a painful admission for a writer of satire.
The President has gone way over the line this time, and he's done it right in our backyard, in nearby Denver.
The sheer, dare I say it, audacity of it is appalling. It’s shameful. And all Joe'king aside, the President lied.
There, I said it. So sue me (apologies to Mark Levin).
In Denver on Wednesday, the President Obama gave a campaign speech in which he claimed "Since I've been President, federal spending has risen at the lowest pace in nearly 60 years."
Yes, Mr. President, spending so low that:
- The largest grassroots movement in the history of our nation arose spontaneously because of your spending.
- Our nation’s credit rating was downgraded for the first time in history, because of your spending.
- Our national debt has increased by $5 trillion and is now over $16 trillion, because of your spending.
- Your fellow Democrats are, one by one, loosing their seats because of your spending.
- The American people walk around depressed because of your spending.
And to put this lie into perspective:
- This was not your everyday, plausible deniability.
- This was not your I may have misspoken and I’m sorry if some stupid people may have been offended by it lie.
- This was not your I inherited it and it’s all Bush’s fault lie (although he also claimed that in his speech).
- This was not your I know you are just a bunch of college students and you’ll still think I’m cool anyway lie.
- This was not even a, if I shake my finger and speak in manufactured anger at the camera, I might get away with it, depending upon what the definition of what is is lie.
No, this was an in-your-face, I know I’m lying, you know I’m lying, my fellow Democrats all know I’m lying, Pelosi’s face will contort to defend my lying, Joe Biden will probably let slip a joke about my lying, and the press may even suspect I’m lying and will struggle with how not to report it, type of lie.
This was an I don’t care that the country is on the verge of bankruptcy, my reelection is all that matters, and even if this screws up my reelection, I like lying so much I’m going to lie anyway, just for the sheer joy of it, type of lie.
This was a lie that Hugo Chavez would love but Robert Mugabe might be embarrassed to tell. This was a lie that might cause internal turmoil in the soul of Debbie Wasserman Shultz. This was a lie so monumental that David Letterman might tell it as a joke.
But it wasn’t funny.
The full text of the President's Denver Campaign speech. The big lie (as distinguished from the others) may be found about 3/4 of the way through.
Fact Check from the Daily Caller
Barack Obama: the Spending King on Rush Limbaugh
Obama is a Spendthrift - Investors Business Daily
Update July 12, 2012: The Facts About Budgets - Forbes